Wednesday, March 4, 2015

World Read Aloud Day

Today is World Read Aloud Day, and as you can see, we've been at it a while.  We read during the day, listen to books in the car, and read at bedtime; it's one of my favorite things about the day.  Growing up, my favorite memories of elementary school are of my teachers reading aloud, especially in second and fifth grade, and when I was in the classroom I always looked forward to that time of the day the most.  

Right now I'm working my way through the podcasts on the Read Aloud Revival (and I've even figured out how to listen to them on my phone, which is quite a technological step for me!), and I have really enjoyed them.  If you don't read aloud with your kids, pick up a book and start tomorrow--if you live around here it's a snow day, so you have the time.  A few we've read since Christmas:

The Melendy Quartet--some of my most favorite ever

Alice is also really into Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew right now--maybe not the most intellectual series, but since I devoured the original Nancy Drew series and am looking forward to re-reading them with her in a few years, I'm not going to complain.

Happy reading!

No comments: