Wednesday, August 6, 2008

It Took 3 Years and 1 Month...

...but I am finally an official Oklahoman again. Today I spent four hours (yes, four hours) waiting at the Department of Public Safety for a piece of paper I could take to the tag agency (where I could wait some more) to get my license.

I am never moving out of state again. No job opportunity or huge salary or amazing house is worth spending half of an August day sitting thigh to thigh with a room full of people who look like they are headed for the state fair. Foolishly, I thought this whole thing would take about an hour. Silly me.

Upon finally being called to the window, I was thrilled that I passed my vision test and had all of the correct documentation on hand. As I was driving to the tag agency, though, I realized that the examiner had listed my Nebraska license as a New Brunswick license. Thankfully, the lady at the tag agency didn't mention it--otherwise there would probably have been footage of my breakdown on the news.

I did see some things Jack will never be allowed to do (think holes big enough to drive a Hot Wheel through in your ear lobe) as well as a woman who looked like Steve Carrell's twin, though, so at least there was something mildly interesting about the afternoon. And in case you're wondering why I don't have a shot of my license to show you here, it's because I look like I've just spent four hours at the DPS.

Next it's Jay's turn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

4 hours, seriously?! That is ridiculous. I am very impressed that you would actually wait it out that long. Maybe that was your penance for not getting your OK license when you moved here.;-) I had no wait at the Dept of Public Safety when I went four years ago but then again I was only here a month before I got mine. Was I being rewarded or were you being penalized?? Hmmmmm.......

~Denise

Anonymous said...

Too funny!!! You need to write a book....sounds like Erma Bombeck! You could take her place since she died! RWBGMA