Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pirates!

We spent last week learning about pirates. After the early days of pregnancy and then the holidays, it was nice to get back to actually doing something. I was starting to feel a little guilty about all the time off, and when I would tell someone we were homeschooling, in my head I was always adding, "If by 'homeschooling' you mean 'lying on the couch trying not to toss my cookies while my child watches the entire PBSKids lineup from dawn till dusk...'" So now we're back on track.

The books pictured above and linked below are the ones we read over the week.

Sunken Treasure
If You Were a Parrot
Pirates: Robbers of the High Seas
Pirate Pup
Parrots: Colorful Birds
Roger the Jolly Pirate
How I Became a Pirate
Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
Pirate Pete
Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate
Tough Boris

We also used this great resource. I am thinking I will have to re-check this one because it has all kinds of neat crafts.

I found this game at the Mardel sale last week and got it to work on counting larger numbers. We have used it more often for memory, though, so it's actually four games in one, not three. Originally we were going to move on to ocean animals this week, but now we're thinking about going to Sea World next month, so I'll pull it out again then.

We made our own treasures with this idea from Family Fun.

At abcteach I found patterns for puppets.

To wrap things up, we had a pirate dinner (aka fish sticks) and pirate cake. You have to check out this cupcake blog. You have never seen cupcakes like these!

Jack is still decorating the cover of his lapbook, so soon I will post pictures and links to the places I found the activities.

4 comments:

Edwena said...

Awesome pirate cake, Jen. Hope you're doing well.
Edwena

Jen U. said...

I LOVE your pirate cake Jen!! We have not read many of the books your listed. Thanks for sharing. I will have to check them out!

deleise said...

Adorable!

Holly said...

We love the Shiver me letters book and your pirate cake is so cool!