Thursday, November 3, 2011

National Housewife Day

I think I can understand that feeling about a housewife’s work being like that of Sisyphus (who was the stone rolling gentleman). But it is surely, in reality, the most important work in the world. What do ships, railways, mines, cars, government etc exist for except that people may be fed, warmed, and safe in their own homes? As Dr Johnson said, ‘To be happy at home is the end of all human endeavour’. (1st to be happy, to prepare for being happy in our own real Home hereafter: 2nd, in the meantime, to be happy in our houses.) We wage war in order to have peace, we work in order to have leisure, we produce food in order to eat it. So your job is the one for which all others exist.
~ C.S. Lewis
~~~
(Confession time: I knew right off the bat who Sisyphus was because I saw it on an episode of Arthur.)

I do a lot of waiting.
In the car...

At birthday parties...

At the store...

And then I go home and do exciting things like laundry and dusting. Well, I don't really do a lot of dusting, but I think about dusting fairly often, and that should count for something.

Really, a monkey could do my job; it's pretty much the same eight to ten tasks repeated over and over. That's what makes it hard. I could probably live the rest of my life without the thrill of grocery shopping, but I do it every week--sometimes more than once. Paying bills isn't fun. Driving kids all over town gets old fast.

So why do it?
Because sixth on my list of repeated tasks is outside time.

Because after I've brought home the groceries and cooked a meal, I get to eat it with the three best people.

Because when the bills are paid on time, the house is warm and the lights are on.

Because when we drive all over town, we have all kinds of fun adventures.

Because I love them, and I want them to be happy at home.

Sisyphus may have been working out his punishment, but I get to do this job every single day. And it is important.

Happy Housewife Day!

No comments: