Sunday, December 25, 2011

Good Tidings


Merry Christmas and welcome to the time of year when moms all over are overworked, exhausted, and ready for December 26. Really this year has been pretty good. We have done something for Christmas every day, but many days it was something simple like having hot chocolate while we watched Christmas specials on TV.

A couple of nights ago, though, I was done. After sniffing and coughing and sneezing all day, I sent Jay off to a party I knew he would rather have gone to with me. I kicked myself for being a bad wife and finally got the kids in bed. Then Jack wanted me to lie down with him while he went to sleep and I begged off, seeing as I had about 20 things waiting downstairs and it was already more than an hour after his bedtime and I had watched Christmas shows with him earlier. I kicked myself for being a bad mom and went downstairs, but before I even plugged in the iron, Alice was awake and crying. And it went on and on until I went to bed, thinking I was not enough.

But really, isn't that the whole point of Christmas? No matter how good you are or how nice you are or how together you are, you are never enough. You can never do enough or be enough by yourself, but you don't have to, because, "behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord."

Merry Christmas.

No comments: